Sunday, 27 July 2014

Top Ten Favourite books of all time!

Posted by chelsie rout at 23:06
Watch out guys it’s a long post all about one of my many obsessions!

I have always enjoyed book recommendations and finding something new to read, so I have compiled a short list of books that should be on your reading list!
(Disclaimer: I am not including whole series, only singular books and I can only have an author once)


1.       The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This book is one of the most wonderful stories I have ever read. Set in 1939, Nazi Germany, Death follows a young girl by the name Liesel. He watches her throughout her life as she slowly falls in love with the written word. It is wonderfully enriching and is a story that you will remember forever!


2.       The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
I first read this book in the 11 grade and I have read it 3 times over since. It is about a very smart, young boy Christopher who has autism. He knows all the capitals of the world and every prime number up to 7,057, but is baffled by human emotion (and the colour yellow!). When his neighbour’s dog is found dead he goes on a quest to figure out who murdered him. This book is one of the most heart wrenching books I have read and helps you look at the world slightly differently!


3.       Is everyone hanging out without me? (and other concerns) By Mindy Kaling
Now let me start by saying Mindy Kaling is one of my favourite people ever! So this book was an obvious choice. I first listened to this book on audio as she reads it and I find it more personal and enriching. But I now own the book and have read/listened it 4 times now. Mindy has a sense of humour that I click with, she tells stories about her childhood growing up, her hit play, giving her friend a black eye on stage and her life in Hollywood.  She is so god damn funny and I will continue to love her until the very end!

4.       Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Picking one hunger games book was a challenge but the last book in the series sticks out in my mind the most! To be fair it does sway off to the side a little bit but I could have not predicted the plot twists or the ending of this book and I really enjoy not knowing. It also is a tear jerker and those books get me every time! I won’t spoil anything for you!

5.       Can you keep a secret? By Sophie Kinsella
This book was the first romantic novel I read, I think I read it first when I was 13/14 (which is probably far too young!). It is one of the funniest books I have laid eyes on! It is about a bland woman in England who after a tragic interview spills all her tiny little secrets to a stranger on a plane. Well not a stranger for long. From her funny thoughts, unsupported family and disastrous love life, this is a book that will make your sides hurt from laughing so hard!


6.       The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
This book is my favourite read of 2014, the writing style is flawlessly enchanting and has a hint of magic within realism. You feel as if the book has opened up and you have stepped inside this world. A girl called Ava Lavender in Seattle is born with wings from a bird and you re-live her families past experiences with love and watch as it all falls hopelessly, teaching Ava that love is foolish and not to be trusted. 


7.       Miss Peregrine’s home for Peculiar children by Ransom Riggs
After seeing this book pop up again and again. I decided to pick it up after seeing mixed reviews of it all over the place. At first glance it seems creepy and mysterious which it is but with a twist. I have no way to describe this book other than it was intriguing and spreads curiosity like the plague, using black and white photographs of peculiar children it is another magical realism book that uses it wonderfully.

8.       The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Holy Hell is book is fantastic. That’s all I have to say, other than read it and experience it and watch as it slowly changes your perspective on life.


9.       The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
World War two from a 9 year olds perspective. He finds a friend across a fence in striped pyjamas. It is a fantastic concept is well done, the style of writing feels like a nine year old wrote it shows how children interpret the world around them.

10.   Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix by J.k. Rowling
I had to include the books that shaped my childhood. I was a close call between Book 4 (Goblet of fire) and book 5, I chose not to go down the most common path of that last book even though it is an amazing end to an amazing series. I Love book 5 so much, this is when the story gets darker and dangerous, Voldemort’s back, nobody believes harry, setting up Dumbledore’s army and then the battle at the end. This book starts the darker more serious side of Harry potter and I love it!


 Wow that’s a long list
 Honourable mentions: The Fault in our Stars, Maximum ride, Divergent, Fangirl, Bossypants and The Hobbit plus many more!

Now that I have showered you with recommendations please give me some! I am running out of books to buy and not read for 3 months! Or am I completely wrong and you think differently, let me know!

Until next time

~ Chelsie.x  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Wickedly Whimsical Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos